Wednesday, October 5, 2011

"You have fire... in your ear"



I remember the last time I had an ear infection like it was yesterday (HA!).  I was 9 years old screaming at the top of my lungs that my ear hurt. My mom was in my room like a thief in the night with THE drops. Hot oil ear drops-- how she always had it ready so fast boggles my mind to this day.  I used to have infections and colds all the time until my doctor suggested I have my tonsils taken out and BOOM no more ear infections. UNTIL LAST NIGHT.


I have been sick for about 10 days now with a runny nose and coughing.  Last week while blowing my nose,  I popped my ear drum and haven't been able to hear properly since.  Come to think of it, Michael Jackson probably got rid of his nose because seriously-- noses cant make up their damn minds.  It can be plugged and then mucus will drip down your throat or go upward back and into your damn ear.  I had gone to bed at 9pm because I was feeling tired all week-- I figured that I will have a lovely day at school, then come home, get dressed and go off to Tbilisi to meet the President at some opening ceremony.  I was totally pumped.  At about 3 am I woke up to the feeling-- the feeling of murderous aching and pressure in my ear.  In an instant, I knew what was going on.  My arch nemesis found me after years of hiding and began the torture again. 


 I kept tossing and turning, trying to figure out ways to reduce the pressure in my ear.  Come 5am I couldn't deal with it any more, I got up, found my aspirin and went to find someone that was awake at home.  Thank god Murman was up! He made me some "hot salt" (the Georgian version of a hot water bottle) and that finally helped ease the pain.


I woke up this morning and had no choice but to go see a doctor. I called TLG and informed them about the monster setting up shop in my ear-- they quickly referred me to a doctor in Rustavi. I brought Murman with me as I was told the doctor did not speak English.


I walked into the building and was pleasantly surprised that it did not look or SMELL like any doctors office or hospital I had encountered in Romania. After about an hour of questions and getting checked out by her, I was sent to another doctor upstairs that looked at my ears and nose.  Then told me to get my thyroid gland checked out when I get back to Canada.  This kinda freaked me out but they said that "maybe your neck is just built with the gland so predominant." *long pause* She better not be saying I look like I have an Adams apple.  I got prescribed a bunch different types of medicines --from ear drops, to nose sprays to stuff that should help my stomach not get the shits. 


So here I am, with ear oil running down the side of my head, really sad that I am not going to be able to see the President tonight but happy to know that I had been taken care of professionally.  I am relieved to know that TLG is there when I need them.  

1 comment:

  1. YIKES! i don't like this post lol. i was also very prone to ear infections back in the day...i'd rather be nursing a gun shot wound then an ear infection...stupid monster setting up shop haha! i love u...hope you have a speeeeeeeeeeedy recovery! xo

    ReplyDelete