Wednesday, November 30, 2011

You Are My Sunshine

Today in one of my grade 2 classes that I hadn't seen for a while, a little boy named Nika stood up and started reciting "You Are My Sunshine" (did you know that that song has OTHER lyrics!? I DIDN'T!!) Well Nika knew them by heart and sang them while looking me in the eyes.  It was honestly the cutest and sweetest thing to watch him.  I never ever want to forget that moment.  

 

This week has been a tough one with all the running around I have been doing.  We have "Foreign Languages Week" happening at my school whereby teachers hold open lessons. What is an open lesson you ask? Well it is the dumbest thing in the world.  Basically a teacher picks one of her "good" classes and invites other teachers, the parents, the vice principal and principal to watch the class while "teaching". The thing is, it is ALL fake-- and everyone involved knows it.  It's a fake lesson in that the kids are trained for about a week or so as to what to expect.  So all the material, activities and who says what, where and when had already been predetermined AND rehearsed.  Since I am queen of resources I have 4 different teachers asking me to make certain types of flashcards, posters, banners, find these types of videos, find those songs, make this kind of PP presentation all of course LAST MINUTE.  Don't get me wrong though, I love doing this stuff but a. not so last minute and b. not the same week as I am working on teachers college applications.  OISE OFFICIALLY SUBMITTED :) 


Which brings me back to why I am writing this-- Nika totally made me forget all my own issues with the way he sang my favourite song to me with his cute little face and those eyes that melted my heart. 


(Nika my little ball of sunshine)

(For anyone that is interested the other lyrics are here)

The other night dear, as I lay sleeping
I dreamed I held you in my arms
But when I awoke, dear, I was mistaken
So I hung my head and I cried.
You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K480BTMTpvo&feature=related

No comments:

Post a Comment